Yesterday, as I was driving to my morning workout at Fight Gone Mad, I thought to myself it had been a while since doing Donkey Kicks. There is usually some type of animal movement incorporated in these workouts that looks and feels completely ridiculous. I swear, I think the trainers get drunk together every month and come up with embarrassing exercises so they can entertain themselves when watching us in class. So lo and behold, on the dry erase board where the Dr. Tabata workout was written, there they were…good ol’ Donkey Kicks. I wish my ESP or psychic powers would come in handy with picking lotto numbers, but no, I just predict butt kicking exercises.
What I love about Fight Gone Mad (read this article) is every class is a different workout, and the exercises per workout constantly change as well, so it never gets boring, easy, or predictable. Dr. Tabata is one of my favorite intervals. It goes by very quickly, and even though the workout may only be as little as 20 minutes long, I still feel like I may vomit or pass out when its completed. Mission accomplished??
- 20 seconds of a very high intensity exercise
- 10 seconds of rest
- Repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes
- Move on to the next station (5 Total Exercises)
This specific workout consisted of:
- High Hooks and Low Hooks on the punching bag
- Sprints and Lateral Shuffle (alternating)
- Single Arm Dumbbell Thrusters
- Donkey Kicks
- Single Arm Kettlebell Step Ups
and now, I present you with:
- Starting in pushup position with palms on mat, shoulders over wrists and legs extended behind you while keeping a straight spine.
- With legs together, engage core and butt and kick both legs in the air while bending knees and feet towards your booty.
- As your body lowers, return to plank position.
Here is a video of the exercise with a few variations.
This exercise can be done at home. I promise, you will feel a burn from your shoulders to your legs. Perhaps in future posts I will be brave enough to show pictures of me working out, but I’d rather not frighten people away. Have fun kickin!