Girls commonly want what they don’t have. Right?! If you’re thin, you may have dreamt of having J-Lo’s curves. If you’re petite, you probably wanted long legs at some point in your life. My sister always complained growing up that she wanted my stomach and tanned skin, while I wished for her legs and blue eyes. Together, we said we’d be the perfect girl! Obviously that’s far from the truth as there is no such thing as perfect, but I think you get the point.
When I was younger my hair was SO thick that I’d beg my stylist to use thinning sheers to remove half my hair. Okay, maybe not half of it, but definitely a good percentage. It took forever to blow-dry and was even more of a challenge to style. Be careful what you wish for though! Hair can change over time. You see, we have these things called HORMONES! And hormones along with age, diet, climate, and products we put on or into our bodies affect things like skin, teeth, nails, and hair.
With that being said, I’ve been using clip-in hair extensions since my college days. Say Whatttt?!!! Yep, it’s true! Not every day. Mostly for special occasions. But my super thick hair that I used to hate is long gone and now something I miss very much. Clip in human hair extensions are an easy solution for people looking for more volume and/or length.
Let’s see, shall we? Here is a picture of me post haircut, extension free:
And here I am, wearing Irresistible Me extensions in Royal Light Brown, 18 inches, 200 grams:
I didn’t even use all of the hair it came with!
When Irresistible Me reached out and offered to gift me a set of extensions, I was very intrigued to try them. Even though I’ve used multiple brands before, this was the first kind to offer so many different options. I’m wearing the Royal Remy, which is the same thickness from top to bottom. The other option I was debating about getting is Silky Touch which thins towards the bottom, similar to real hair. Once you pick which set suits you best, you then choose your color, length, and thickness. They provide information on their site to help you choose the best one. In all honestly, I’m super impressed with the quality of Irresistible Me and love wearing my Remy extensions!
Everything You Need To Know About Clip-In Hair Extensions
1. Clip-in hair extensions are temporary. They’re easy to put in and take out. Be sure to NOT sleep in them.
2. Because of the pressure clips, they’re safer for your hair compared to permanent extensions that are taped, glued, or sewn in.
3. If debating between two colors, choose the lighter one. You can always dye your extensions darker, but you do not want to lighten them with bleach.
4. If the extensions are too long, or you have layers and want them to blend in better with your natural hair, bring them your hairdresser and ask him/her to give your extensions a hair cut! Once they’re cut, you may want to label or number the extensions using a Sharpie on the back of the clips, so you know which piece goes where on your head.
5. When choosing the color, remember the extensions are mostly showing at the bottom of your hair, so you should match the color to your ends not your roots.
6. If styling your extensions with a straightener, wand, or curling iron, be sure to not exceed the recommended heat on the extensions. I find it easier to style the extensions prior to putting them in my hair versus after.
7. They’re affordable and last forever! You can get a great set of clip-ins for under $150 easily. Real extensions will cost you quadruple that at a minimum! And not only that, but you’ll have to get them redone every few months, so it’s expensive to upkeep.
8. You can wash your extensions if they have too much product build up from hairspray and other types of styling products. Let them air dry by hanging them over your bathroom towel rack. You shouldn’t have to wash them frequently. If they feel a little stiff, just comb them out with a regular hairbrush.
9. Before clipping in the extension, tease the hair at the root so the extension can hold on better. Sometimes they’ll easily glide out if the hair is too smooth.
10. Should you get a headache from the extensions [happened to me first few times I had ever used them], slightly change the placement of the pieces to make it more comfortable for you.