You guysssssss, I am SO excited to share today’s post with you! I have literally been pinning images of custom closets since Pinterest first came into existence. Having a beautiful, organized space that was large enough to fit all of my belongings was/is the ultimate DREAM!! I had done my research on different custom closet installation companies here in South Florida so even before Casey and I closed on our new home, I went ahead and contacted The Closet Doctor Rx to see if they’d want to work together. Several of my friends had used them and they have a great reputation in the area, but after meeting with them myself, I was SOLD.
Scroll down to check out my 5 Tips for Organizing Your Closet!
There is also a video at the bottom of the post to see “the before,” “the after,” and the entire production in between. I truly could not be more pleased with how our closets came out!!
5 Tips for Organizing Your Closet
- DECLUTTER: This may seem a bit obvious, but get rid of things you haven’t worn in the past 18 months. Some experts say 12 months, but I think 18 months is a good compromise. You can even keep your hangers in one direction and as you wear things, put them back hanging in the opposite direction. After a year or year and a half [whatever you decide], see which hangers haven’t been turned and either sell or donate those items.
- COLOR COORDINATE: As messy as I can be, I have always been a bit OCD when it comes to color coordinating my closet. It makes things SO much easier to find AND it’s pretty to look at! I even like having matching [or somewhat matching] hangers for a clean look. Casey always said I was crazy for this, but he finallyyyyy agreed to have me color coordinate his closet and I’m so excited about that!
- USE VERTICAL SPACE: Utilize the space above and below the rod if needed. Check out different storage solutions at The Container Store, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, and of course Amazon. Adding a shelf on top and drawers on the ground will allow you to store more items in your closet. Plus, certain clothing, like sweaters are better off folded versus hung. The hangers can stretch out the material so folding will help keep their shape.
- PUT AWAY SEASONAL ITEMS: If it wasn’t for The Closet Doctor creating so much space for me to fold my sweaters and keep them in my closet, I would have most likely put them in vacuum sealed bags and stored them somewhere in the house. Update your closet with every season so that the things you wear regularly are most accessible.
- ORGANIZE BY CLOTHING TYPE: Perhaps another obvious tip, but keep the same types of items together, like your jeans with jeans, dresses with dresses, etc. The whole point is to make your life EASIER so you can find things in a timely manner.
The Closet Doctor Rx, servicing South Florida: 1-800-273-4546