[click on the shoe to be redirected to their site]
Hi. My name is Jaime and I’m a Shoe Addict. First step to recovery is admitting it, right? As I’m getting prepared for our move down to Florida, I’ve been filling garbage bags of clothes and shoes to donate or sell. It’s times like this that makes me wish I was a Minimalist. Lets be real. That ain’t ever gonna happen! Not in this lifetime at least.
So it got me thinking… if I had to narrow down this absurd collection to just the basics, the absolute must haves, what would they be? For whatever reason, I didn’t include running or workout sneakers which to a lot of people would be a necessity. The workouts I’ve been doing lately don’t include any socks or sneakers, so it slipped my mind when creating this list. Mommy Brain. Sorry! Okay – so here we go! 11 Shoes Every Woman Should Own:
1. Nude Pumps – Nude heels elongate your legs and go with almost anything. When you wear nude heels, you are putting more focus and attention on your outfit. I have just as many nude-ish shoes as I do black, and probably default to wearing nude pumps the most. For a great, affordable nude heel, Steve Madden always delivers. If you want to invest in a luxe pair that cost less than Valentino and Loubiton [and also happen to be more comfortable], get these M. GEMI pair called ‘The Cammeo.’ They come in colors black, natural, and fawn. I own them in fawn which is a more pinky nude. I can not begin to tell you how gorgeous these heels are! Repeat. GORGEOUS!
2. Ballet Flats – Ballet flats are classy and classic. They’re office appropriate, easy to throw on, and it is super important to get a pair that are COMFORTABLE. If I am choosing flats over heels, they better be like butta. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten cuts and blisters from uncomfy flats and the next day have 30 little bandaids covering my heels and toes, looking like I was in a war with red ants, mosquitos and bumble bees all at the same time, and lost miserably. Being 5’3″ tall [or short rather], I like being in some kind of heel for height which isn’t always practical. So, if I’m opting for comfort, they better be freaking comfortable!! Simple concept, right? My favorite flats are the Tory Burch ‘Reva.’ Flats do NOT have to be boring. Choose a bold color or animal print. A lot of my friends have Tieks and love those too!
3. Stylish Flat Sandals – I realize the word stylish can be interpreted differently to everyone, but I didn’t want you thinking that those flip flops you wore in the shower when you went to sleepaway camp 15 years ago is what I was referring to. Love these ones.
4. Summer Wedges – As I just mentioned, I like to add on a few inches if at all possible, but I realize not everyone feels the same way. There are plenty of options for the Summer Wedge that range in height and style, making them appropriate for any age. If you would prefer less of an arch, go for a low espadrille or cork patterned platform. Wedges are great to wear with jeans, skirts, and casual dresses.
5. Fun Statement Heels – Necessity, No… but lets remember who is writing this list. “Hi” – Jaime the Shoe Addict here. Initially, this list consisted of 10 Must Have Shoes, but I couldn’t resist sneaking this one in. Animal print, fringe, lace up, neon, polka dots, embellished… pick one “fun” pair to dress up a little black dress or throw on with dark skinnies and a white tee.
6. Riding Boots – If Riding Boots aren’t your thang, any flat, leather boot in black or brown should be a good substitute. I kinda regret not getting these bad boys at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale [that is now over], BUT I know my bank account and Hubby thank me. You better believe I had to tell myself “you’re moving to Florida… you’re moving to Florida” about a hundred times before deleting them from my shopping cart.
7. Ankle Strap Heels – Oh, how I love thee. You guys are going to think I’m beyond weird, but ankle strap heels to me are like TLC’s CrazySexyCool [one of my favorite albums of all time]. I always debated if I wanted to be T-Boz or Chilli. It was a 50/50 split. Anyway…perhaps “crazy” is not the most accurate description of these simply sleek stunners [say that 10 times fast], BUT sexy and cool certainly are. Love that they go with so much, from boyfriend jeans to a dress you’d wear to a Black Tie affair. Can’t say enough good things about them!
8. Metallic Heels – Silver and gold heels instantly glam up an outfit. You can get other metallic colors like pewter and rose gold, but if you had to pick just one, I’d opt for a silver or gold pair. It’s one of those trends that have been around for awhile and I don’t see it going out any time soon.
9. Booties – Booties, booties, booties, booties rockin’ everywhere. Don’t worry, I’ll spare you the many corny, un-funny, predictable song references I can keep on making. Just do yourself a favor and be sure to have a good pair of everyday booties, in a neutral color like putty or tan. Sleek, black ankle boots are another staple shoe for the Fall & Winter.
10. Casual Kicks – There was a time that I wouldn’t be caught dead in sneakers unless I was going to the gym. I don’t know why, but I would just NEVER throw them on with jeans or the most casual outfit. Now, I can’t get enough of cool kicks that are solely worn to be comfortably fashionable. From TOMS to Converse to New Balance… the options now are limitless. J.Crew’s New Balance collection is always on point.
11. Black Pumps – Lets end with the most obvious. The LBD of shoes. [Little Black Dress for those of you who need me to spell it out.] From the office to a night out on the town, this closet staple is one you can not, should not be without. I’d encourage you to get a good quality pair. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to spend a ton of money. These BCBG ones [that also come in nude] are normally priced at $89.00, but are ON SALE for $49.99! I’m also a fan of the “black pump” in patent leather and suede.
Shop The Post: